Saturday, July 02, 2005

ok, i need to start making my meatballs...

as an update to my texas/gay post, this is a very good post about the church's attitude about sex from a south wales methodist minister.

what makes this stand out is the conversation in the comments between two readers who enter scripture from two very different hermeneutical entryways. at the end, there is no consensus between them (nor should there necessarily be one) but it's a great illustration of hermeneutic/exigetical difference.

1 comment:

reverendmother said...

I haven't read the whole thing, but this is gold:

His parable of the vineyard owner turns capitalism on its head by paying the workers according to their need rather than by the work they’ve put in. (And I find ironic that those who are quickest to tell me that parable isn’t about economics are precisely those who tell me I should be more willing to take the Bible at face value.)

Word.