Thursday, March 31, 2005

ain't i a woman?

feministing.com

i remember that quote from one of my lit classes in college (was it sojourner or tubman?) and it makes me think of that black values coalition i noted earlier this week. movements like this speak louder to me than weird coalitions about values, as if values just pop out of the ether without larger social contexts.

and feministing's note that this shows, in a very real way, how feminism is still relevant to communities of color (and not just us) is a pointed one. besides blatant sexism like this, there's still the wage gap, the economic gap, the slow and covert erosion of reproductive freedom (the freedom to decide when and how to have kids), and the education gap. much as we'd like to think we've come a long way, it's clearly not far enough.

2 comments:

reverendmother said...

it was sojourner, testifyin'.

Delia Christina said...

thank you! my lit profs would smack my hand for forgetting!